Some establishments have taken the plunge and chosen cloud PCs for more agile learning. Return of experiences.
Who said the education and training sector was resistant to change? Some institutions (high schools or colleges through very demanding training (with extremely powerful 3D software) or very specific (such as drone pilots) have taken the plunge and chosen clouds PC for more agile learning. Several hundred students will use a completely dematerialized PC in the cloud instead of their old physical workstation. What lessons can be drawn from this?
1. A specific implementation
Unlike the company station, which is either single-user or with free access, such as terminals, the school station has specific use cases, such as the technical stations in the laboratories used for a few courses by week by class numbers. The cloud computer obviously allows an optimal adaptation between permanent, generic, punctual positions… Nevertheless, making your park (and your capacities) coincide with your school map cannot be improvised. Similarly, onboarding and authentication processes must sometimes be adapted.
2. An enrichment of the educational experience
The handling of the PC cloud by millennials does not raise any difficulties. The same goes for teachers who see this immaterial PC as an effective teaching tool.
Among the popular features:
- The speed of start-up (and the possibility of launching the cloud PCs in advance) which saves precious time at the start of the session,
- One-click restoration of sessions which ensures that each student has a strictly identical desk,
- Remote control of the virtual station to control an exercise or assist a use.
Many educational advantages compared to a physical PC. The field of enrichment for the teacher is also extensible: shared sessions, work collaborativepredefined uses, fight against fraud are just some of the tools available.
3. A support tool at school and outside
A Cloud PC provided in class can, with one click, be shared outside the walls of the establishment and this is a small revolution. Thus, each establishment offers all its students the possibility of working on “equal terms” at home or on the move. It is also the guarantee of being able to limit the uses according to the educational policy, by fixing maximum screen times for the youngest for example. Finally, it is an opportunity to reassure families by offering dematerialized computers in line with the establishment’s project.
4. Ecological and economic issues
Parents are not the only ones to watch the back-to-school budget closely. In schools, economic issues and the ecological impact are also sensitive subjects.
The transition to Cloud PC allows gains on both topics:
- On the ecological side, it has thus enabled certain schools to reuse obsolete machines instead of ordering new PCs. At 200 kilos of CO2 equivalent per unit, tons of carbon are quickly saved.
- On the economic side, the equation is also favourable. It is the possibility, without any investment, of providing the ideal resources for the time needed and only incurring expenses at that time.
Thus, for example, some establishments will now provide very powerful graphics machines to entire classes a few days a year with a minimal budgetary impact and a totally controlled environmental impact.
In conclusion, the first feedback shows that the Cloud PC is on its way to becoming a permanent fixture in the educational landscape.