a UN report points to the responsibility of the M23 in the massacre of civilians

a UN report points to the responsibility of the M23 in the massacre of civilians

At least 131 civilians were arbitrarily executed by shooting or stabbing in late November in two villages in eastern DRC. This is revealed by a preliminary investigation by the UN, made public on Thursday 8 November. Among those executed, the United Nations counted 17 women and 12 children.

Civilians, the first victims of the conflict

Following these revelations, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk said to himself “really horrified“. In his words, “there is a real need to put an end to these fights which are taking place in different parts of the country, in particular in North Kivu. It’s always the civilians who suffer“. Volker Türk, at the same press conference in Geneva, announced that he also planned to go there next year.

Monday, December 5, the Kinshasa authorities had mentioned a death toll of around 300 in the village of Kechiche, in the province of North Kivu.

Rwanda’s support for M23 rebels singled out

The M23 (“March 23 Movement”) is a former predominantly Tutsi rebellion that took up arms again at the end of last year. Since then, the rebels have conquered large swaths of territory north of Goma, the provincial capital of North Kivu.

According to Congolese authorities, UN experts and American diplomacy, the M23 is supported by Rwanda.

Kigali disputes these accusations. In return, Rwandan President Paul Kagame charges Kinshasa with collusion with the FDLR. This Hutu movement is made up of certain perpetrators of the 1994 Tutsi genocide in Rwanda.

UN renews call to “cease hostilities”

The UN human rights chief said to himself “deeply concerned about the situation, especially with regard to the exercise of democratic freedoms in the country“.

We must ensure that the DRC remains on the agenda, especially from a human rights point of view. Its very important“said the Austrian, who took over as head of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights in mid-October.

In a statement, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said, “firmly condemned“the massacre. He has”urged the M23 and all other armed groups to immediately cease hostilities and disarm unconditionally“.