AA / Cairo / Ibrahim el-Khazen
The toll of the bus accident that occurred this Saturday in the Nile delta, in the north of Egypt, has increased to 20 dead.
The governorate of Dakhleya, where the accident took place, said in a press release, made public on its page on the Facebook social network, that the toll had risen to 24 dead, before reviewing this toll at the drop with 20 people killed.
According to the press release, “the search for the missing persons is still continuing by the rescue forces”.
The newspaper Al-Masry al-Youm (private) has, for its part, reported according to sources of the Health Directorate of the governorate of Dakhleya, that six people from the same family died in this accident.
Earlier in the day on Saturday, the Egyptian Ministry of Health said in a statement that the preliminary report of the accident reports 19 dead and 6 injured, and this, shortly after information reported by a media government, according to which 16 people were killed and another injured, when a bus overturned on a road before crashing into a canal in the Nile delta.
Traffic accidents are common in Egypt for several reasons, including lax enforcement of safety standards and reckless driving, according to the (official) Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics. , despite the measures taken by the government, for years, to inaugurate new roads and widen the road axes, in order to reduce accidents.
* Translated from Arabic by Mounir Bennour.
Only part of the dispatches, which Anadolu Agency broadcasts to its subscribers via the Internal Broadcasting System (HAS), is broadcast on the AA website, in a summarized manner. Please contact us to subscribe.