AA / Ouagadougou / Dramane Traoré
The Delegation of the European Union to Burkina Faso deplored in a letter addressed to the Ministry in charge of Foreign Affairs of Burkina Faso “the absence of an appropriate reaction from the Burkinabe security services” following the protest movement of November 18, 2022 which once again targeted the diplomatic compound of the French Embassy in Burkina Faso.
In a letter dated November 22 consulted by Anadolu Agency, the European Union (EU) delegation in Burkina condemned “the violence of the acts perpetrated by many individuals mobilized and organized for this sole purpose and deplores the lack of appropriate reaction from the Burkinabè security services.
“This is all the more unacceptable since the management of this type of aggression which targets for the second time in six weeks the same diplomatic forum once again disregards the provisions of the Vienna Convention (…)”, underlined the EU delegation.
She also says she regrets that this type of scenario is recurring even though a note verbale relating to the security of diplomatic missions had been sent to the diplomatic corps on November 4, specifying that the measures would be taken “to strengthen the security of diplomatic missions”. .
“In view of the recurrence of these events which, unfortunately, risk tarnishing the image of Burkina Faso and in order to anticipate any similar act in the future, the European Union Delegation to Burkina Faso and the missions of the Member States expect the Burkinabè authorities to be much more responsive in the event that similar events happen to happen again and that the perpetrators of this violence are condemned”, she pleaded.
Since September 30, the date of the second military coup in 2022 in Burkina Faso and having confirmed the coming to power of Captain Ibrahim Traoré, demonstrations hostile to France have been frequently organized in the country.
French diplomatic rights had even been targeted in early October by demonstrators.
Since then, the services of the French Embassy have been closed to the public.
Burkina Faso’s Transitional Prime Minister Apollinaire Joachimson Kyelem de Tambela told MPs on Saturday that Burkina Faso is committed to diversifying its partnership relations and wants “sincere and frank” cooperation in the fight against terrorism.
“How to understand that terrorism has plagued our country since 2015, in indifference, if not with the complicity of some of our so-called partners”, he said without naming a country.
He maintained that in recent times his country has been doing without the support of French troops on its soil in the fight against terrorism.
According to the head of the Burkinabè government, the French army intervened to support the Burkinabè soldiers at the request of the Burkinabè authorities, but that “lately the Burkinabè authorities have done without it and prefer to organize the fight with their own means to safeguard our sovereignty”.
In the process, France announced, for its part, that it did not exclude the possibility of withdrawing its troops present in Burkina Faso, according to its Minister of the Armies, Sébastien Lecornu, in an interview with the JDD (Sunday newspaper) .
Only part of the dispatches, which Anadolu Agency broadcasts to its subscribers via the Internal Broadcasting System (HAS), is broadcast on the AA website, in a summarized manner. Please contact us to subscribe.