ex-dictator Camara says he was removed from power by a “conspiracy”

ex-dictator Camara says he was removed from power by a “conspiracy”

Former Guinean dictator Moussa Dadis Camara claimed on Tuesday that he was ousted from power by an “international conspiracy” involving his two successors and former Burkinabe President Blaise Compaoré, at the trial of the Conakry stadium massacre on September 28, 2009.

Captain Camara and a group of officers seized power on December 23, 2008 after the death of President Lansana Conté was announced.

He has been on trial since September 28 with a dozen former military and government officials for a litany of murders, acts of torture, rape and other kidnappings committed on September 28, 2009 by the security forces at the stadium where dozens had gathered of thousands of opposition sympathizers to dissuade Captain Camara from running for president scheduled for January 2010.

On December 3, 2009, his aide-de-camp, Lieutenant Aboubacar Sidiki Diakité, alias “Toumba”, shot him in the head because he allegedly tried to blame him for the massacre. He was evacuated to Morocco and then to Burkina Faso where, in January 2010, on West African mediation, he renounced, according to the latter, to govern.

“We signed an agreement, in Ouagadougou, Sékouba Konaté (minister of defense and vice-president of the junta) and me, which stipulated that he must manage political power in Guinea as an interim until the end of my convalescence in Ouagadougou,” Captain Camara told the court on Tuesday.

“But I understood afterwards that it was a fake agreement that we signed under the auspices of Blaise Comparé, president of ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States) and mediator in the Guinean crisis”, he added, referring to the Burkinabe head of state at the time.

“It was a national and international plot against me that allowed Sékouba Konaté to give power to his mentor Alpha Condé,” he said, referring to historic opponent Alpha Condé, winner of the presidential election. of 2010 organized under the transition presidency of General Konaté.

“It was to keep me out of the country as long as the elected president was to remain in power (with this) plot cleverly orchestrated by Alpha Condé and executed by Sékouba Konaté and Toumba Diakité”, insisted Mr. Camara.

During his first court hearing in December, he had already cried “conspiracy” and incriminated his former aide-de-camp in the massacre.

At least 156 people were killed and hundreds injured, at least 109 women were raped, according to the report of a commission of inquiry mandated by the UN.

.