For its future iPhones, Apple would rely more and more on the Chinese Oled

For its future iPhones, Apple would rely more and more on the Chinese Oled

Samsung Display provides most of the Oled panels used by Apple for its various iPhones… but the tide could turn in favor of another market player: the Chinese giant BOE.

The screen of the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max, for illustration // Source: Apple

At present, Samsung provides about 7 out of 10 Oled screens for the different iPhone from Apple, but as pointed out GSMArena, this very favorable situation for the Korean firm could be brought to evolve… in favor of the Chinese BOE. Became in 2020 the largest manufacturer of LCD screens in the worldahead of LG Display, BOE also manufactures OLED screens for Apple, but is not as well off as Samsung in terms of orders.

In the immediate future, Samsung produces most of the “classic” OLED panels for the iPhone 14 and 14 Plus, but also the majority of the panels. Oled LTPO (more advanced) dedicated to the iPhone 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max. BOE, for its part, provides a reduced portion of Oled screens intended for the iPhone 14.

Towards slightly more Chinese iPhones?

According to Ming-Chi Kuo, this distribution could soon be reversed in favor of BOE, at least for certain models. Often well informed, the TF International Securities analyst predicts that this reversal would occur this year as Apple sets up the supply of components for its future iPhone 15, expected in September.

In this case, BOE would have succeeded in overtaking Samsung Display by obtaining the largest screen orders for the future iPhone 15 and 15 Plus. 70% of the Oled tiles of the next models would thus be manufactured by BOE, while Samsung would be limited to the remaining 30%, reports GSMArena.

For the iPhone 15 Pro Apple would however bet on Oled LTPO panels and on a supply mainly provided by LG Display and Samsung Display. In 2024, BOE could nevertheless attract 20 to 30% of orders for these more advanced screens.

All models combined, the Chinese display giant would in this case become Apple’s number 1 supplier for iPhone screens – at least if it maintains its 70% for classic models. A great about-face in perspective, especially since the group should continue to supply Mini LED screens to Apple… and even potential medium and large format OLED panels for future products.


To follow us, we invite you to download our Android and iOS app. You can read our articles, files, and watch our latest YouTube videos.