Ten Hag confirms Cristiano Ronaldo return to United squad

Ten Hag confirms Cristiano Ronaldo return to United squad

LONDON, Oct. 26 (PA Media/dpa/EP) –

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag confirmed on Wednesday that Cristiano Ronaldo will be in the English squad for Thursday’s Europa League game against Sheriff Tiraspol (9:00 p.m.).

The 37-year-old Portuguese sat out the 1-1 Premier League draw with Chelsea on Saturday after being left out of the first team for leaving last Wednesday’s game against Tottenham before the final whistle. refusing to come on as a substitute in the final moments of the game.

“Yes, Cristiano will be in the team,” Ten Hag told a press conference. “I think we’ve said it all and answered all the questions. He was out for one game and now he’s back,” he added of the Portuguese, who will be involved in a Europa League tie in which United need points to confirm their play-off presence and keep his chances of finishing at the top of the group.

Ronaldo has already returned to training with his teammates on Tuesday after training individually since Friday with a physical trainer. The striker expressed his regret for his attitude against Spurs hours after the game in a letter on social media, in which he blamed what happened on “a heat stroke”. “I have always played with respect for my teammates, my opponents and my coaches. It hasn’t changed, I haven’t changed, in 20 years of professional football,” he wrote.

This led to the club withdrawing the Portuguese in accordance with club regulations, a ‘difficult decision’ for Ten Hag. “But I think there must be consequences for bad behavior and it’s the second time so we can’t let it go, otherwise it will be miserable for the future,” he argued after the interview. decision last week.